Friday, August 1, 2008

Juno

I was asked to review the movie Juno and and started a while back but just have never gotten around to finishing it, so here it is. Juno was an... interesting movie. It had some very funny lines in it; a very quotable movie, but it wasn't the best I've ever seen. I think Bo wants to own it, but I'd have to see it again before deciding if I liked it that much. I like the point of the movie that the girl takes responsibility for her actions by giving the baby up to a good family, but her journey is... interesting. I know that teenage pregnancy is a real problem now days, and it's something we have to really teach our children about, but this movie almost glorifies it. I appreciate that it shows the struggles of it, but it almost made her the hero instead of trying to teach our children to not get pregnant. As for it being a good quotable movie, I think I liked it okay, but the jury is still out. I want to watch it again before making my final judgment on it. Bo on the other hand really liked the movie. So, split decision on this one.

3 comments:

Alicia said...

Oh, thanks for doing this!

I didn't like this movie at all. I loved the theme. I loved the basic idea of it. But I HATED the characters. I hated the feeling of the movie. It haunted me for days after. I did like some of the quotes. My favorite of all the hated character had to be the cashier at the shop where she kept buying pregnancy tests (by the by, the way she pronounced "pregnant" drove me batty. She pronounced it "praygnunt" ooh. I'm gritting my teeth just remembering it). He had some funny quotes that still make me giggle. And Danny gets a kick out of calling me "fertile Myrtle" and "Mamma Bear", and of course he loves to say, "Your eggo's preggo." Classic.

Anonymous said...

We liked this movie a lot. Something that does irritate me though is how people have argued over it "glorifying" teen pregnancy. It is just a movie. one movie. The problem is not Hollywood's pandering to low morals, the problem is parents who let their kids learn life lessons from movies and television. Anyway, this is a whole argument that I could prattle on about for days...and that doesn't do anybody any good.

It was a good movie, I certainly don't think Oscar-winning-worthy, but good.

Katy said...

I personally loved this movie! I loved the characters in it and some of the quotes in it are amazing! I could watch it over and over again.
However I have to say I do not believe that it "glorifies" teen pregnancy at all. She takes responsiblity for her actions which is good, yet she loses some friends along the way and learns some valuble lessons in her journey as well. It's not a movie for the kids but for us adults it can be very entertaining!!!!