Thursday, May 15, 2008

P.S. I Love You

When I approached the idea of watching this movie I was a little hesitant. Losing a spouse is a sore subject with me because it's one of my greatest fears. Who really wants to lose their spouse? But this movie looked really good so I chanced it. My first impressions were that I don't think I like Hillary Swank very much, especially in a chick flick. But as the movie progressed I was more impressed with her character and her as an actress. Next, it took me a while to realize, but the guy who is her husband, Gerard Butler, is the same guy who plays in The Phantom of the Opera as the Phantom. Although I thought he could've sang better in The Phantom of the Opera, his raspy voice suited his character in this movie. General synopsis of the movie: Holly (Swank) is married and loses her husband. The movie is her journey to move on with her life with a little help from her husband. His death wasn't a sudden one so he plans out a series of letters for her. Her mother, who is played by Kathy Bates (who I just love) doesn't agree with this, she thinks it makes her not move on with her life. Holly also has a series of friends that help her in different ways, also played by great actors/actresses. That's about it in a nutshell without telling you the whole story and divulging the end. Watch the trailer.

Our review: The first time I watched it, I watched it alone. Bo had gone to bed, so I stayed up to watch the sappy chick flick by myself. I teared up a lot at different moments, but that's not saying much - I cry at commercials; but the end did make me actually cry. When it ended and I went to bed, Bo asked "So, did you like it?" and I really didn't know how I felt. I didn't know if I hated it because as I have previously mentioned, I hate when one of the main characters dies especially when it's someone who is supposed to be completely in love. But I also didn't know if I loved it because it was an exceptional movie. I re watched it the next day with Bo and didn't cry and decided that I did really like it, and we do plan on owning it. Bo really liked it as well, but his only comment was that everyone handles death in different ways, especially comparing men and women. He said he could see himself going through some of the things she did and feeling some of the things she did, but other emotions and actions he thought were just her over playing her mourning. It didn't have that typical ending where she find true love again, and Bo appreciated that. He felt that if she would've had that happen it would've made the movie too cliché.

4 comments:

John and Laura said...

I am so with you, on no spouses dying in movies!! I hate that. Maybe when my hormones are a little more even I'll take a risk and watch it. Thanks!

Alicia said...

I love the movie "Return to Me", but I always skip the first part where his wife dies. After that, it's a great movie!!
I'm with you. I want to see this one. I'll have to check it out.

Can you do a review on "Juno"? I just watched it, and I want to know what you thought of it. I thought about doing a post on my blog about it. What did you think of it?

Unknown said...

I thought this was a great movie. Another great one you need to watch is Definitely Maybe....comes out Tuesday.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.